Dispatch from High Above Sofia

Traditional Strandja Folk Costume

I am currently settling into life here in Sofia, Bulgaria for the summer. Sweet sunshine, organic foods, and crisp mountain views abound. The family made an excursion to the peaks outside of Sofia yesterday, and in less than half an hour we were perched high above the city, soaking up pristine forests carpeted with moss and floral ground cover. The late afternoon light streaming through the birch trees was exquisite, and the threaded bird songs rivaled the textured polyphony of the famed Bulgarian Voices.




I will be hunting for interesting examples of traditional folk costumes, lacework, and embroidery all summer. Nature hikes, organic Bulgarian rose oil, and savory local meals are sure to create a potpourri of raw beauty that will be transformative. True fashion takes many shapes and forms, and sustainable style obviously has deep roots in some pretty spectacular far off lands.

Comments

Kate Moore said…
Beautiful. I lived in Vietnam for a wee while back in 2000 and could, if my purse strings and size of my house allowed, live a lifetime of exploring the textiles of that part of the world. I was invited into the home of a Dao woman who had an old singer sewing machine and we - with limited language - chatted over the stitches she was using on a garment and I showed her that I could indeed use the same methods as she had learned. She, a precious moment, allowed me to take photos of her at work. So special because I wasn't on the tourist trail and to be honest, a wee bit lost, so had this random moment of shared sewing group with a complete stranger, in her home, with little language but the shared knowledge of embrodiery.
Petite Planet said…
Gorgeous! What I would give to spend an afternoon with you guys in your beautiful surroundings! Enjoy!
Abigail Doan said…
Katie:

Thank you so very much for sharing your sewing travel vignette on ecco*eco. What a beautiful scene you describe. Travel is so valuable for this sort of enrichment. Really really special, your story.

Beth:

It's a treat to be here. We will share photos with your during the course of the summer. Very magical and peaceful here - even on the outskirts of the city where we are situated.

My best!
Quail said…
That black tunic is gorgeous! It all is actually. I've added your blog to my blogroll because I'm interested in eco design and traditional dress.

Popular Posts